My Mom Loves Iced Coffee -But she is very conscientious of her waistline. (sugar free vanilla syrup and fat free milk)
I on the other hand LOVE Creamy and Sweet Iced Coffee.
I HATE paying over $4 a glass for it at some fancy-schmancy coffee house!
Being the frugal gal that I am - I figured out how to make the perfect creamy & sweet Iced coffee for pennies a glass!
You have to make your coffee concentrate.
(This is the only part of the process that takes some time)
Don't worry, the gallon of coffee concentrate you end up with will make enough to last you for a month in the fridge!
You do NOT want to brew a normal pot of coffee for your iced coffee.
You want to cold-brew it.
This leaves you with a smooth, acid-free coffee base that we all love for a refreshing cold drink.
Iced Coffee Concentrate.
- 1 gallon water
- 1 lb bag of your favorite rich coffee (course ground if ya can get it)
- Coffee filters or several layers of cheesecloth
- a fine mesh strainer.
- a large bowl
- pitcher (big enough to hold a gallon)
- Pour gallon of water into your large bowl.
- Dump the entire bag of coffee into the water/bowl.
- Stir to make sure all grounds are saturated with water.
- Walk away, for 12 hours or overnight.
- line a mesh strainer with a coffee filter or several layers of cheese-cloth, set the strainer on top of your pitcher.
- Pour (or ladle) your coffee mixture into the strainer. (this part takes awhile...) If using coffee filters, you might have to replace them several times during the filtering process.
- Once all the coffee concentrate has been filtered, stick it in the fridge (it will last for a month!)
- 1, 12oz can of evaporated milk
- 1, 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- mix both cans together, refrigerate.
- Grab your favorite glass and fill it to the top with ice.