Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thats so Cheesy

"Well life on the farm is kinda laid back"
The business end of Mary
Lyrics from John Denver's Thank God I'm a Country Boy.
I know John has never been to THIS farm. Always something to do. Animals need feedin', barn needs cleanin', babies need birthin', fences need mendin' and the garden needs tendin'.
I milk my small herd of Nubian dairy goats every morning which leaves me with a lot of that creamy white stuff.
My morning routine
Good thing my husband and I love cheese. But we also love goat milk ice cream, goat milk yogurt and goat milk fudge. (Sometimes I think a little too much.) Not to mention the all-natural goat milk soap that I make.

Mary is the herd queen and up on the milk stand first
Yesterday I made cheese. It is a soft, fresh cheese called chevre. (pronounced chev). From 1 1/2 gallons of milk I can make about 3 lbs of chevre.
After putting rennet into the milk, the curds form
The flavor is mild and is suitable for both sweet and savory recipes. Personally I enjoy it just flavored with sea salt.

My goats have a great stress free life. Green grass, warm sunshine and no worries. It shows in the cheese.

The following recipe was sent to me from my mother's nursing school friend in Florida.
Chevre on toast with my homemade jelly





Goat Cheese Truffles
 6 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Make 36 small 3/4 inch rounds of cheese using a melon ball scoop.
Then roll 12 of them in the almonds
12 into the dates
12 in the basil
These are a great accompaniment to tea sandwichs or mini quiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment