Monday, January 31, 2011

Spinning Straw Into Gold

My Cleaned Mohair on left, Blue faced Wool Roving on right
Since the early days of human history, spun fiber has been essential to life. It is the stuff of myth and folklore. Remember the Brother's Grimm fairy tale, Rumplestiltskin.

My first attempt at using the Drop Spindle
Throughout most of history all yarn everywhere was spun on spindles. Even today, much of the world produces yarn with spindles. The spinning wheel as we know it now, with bobbins and flyers, has only been around for a few hundred years.

Enter Marley and FuzzEE.

Two adorable Angora goats that were purchased from a fiber artist outside of Durham, NC. It was love at first sight. Little did I know that once I  got them home they would have to be sheared of all that glorious hair. And what did a spoiled rich kid from the Long Island suburbs know about shearing. Apparently not that much. But I did learn quickly. The weather was getting warm and that hair had to go. Gotta love videos on youtube. Off came the hair. Now what do I do with it? Luckily on a trip to Fayetteville, NC, I met a wonderful woman, who owns a yarn store. She is an artist who does beautiful work with all kinds of yarn. The name of her store is Sunflower Fibers. If you are ever in that neck of the woods please pay her a visit. I worked washing that hair for hours and drying for days. But the hard work was worth it. The fiber is truly beautiful. I guess I will get there someday, the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice, Practice, Practice!

Red Eyes and Dredlocks gave Marley his name
 

No comments:

Post a Comment